Release of Unencrypted JSON Files in Public

Summary

This proposal focuses on Developers that are building tools and/or possibly build tools for the Crypto Unicorns DAO. It is a request for The team to provide Unencrypted Tuning Data every maintenance patch for every Tuning updates.

Motivation

Transparency, the DAO seems to be more open to changes and things that’s will make an improvement on the space, Author believes that this will make it better for everyone if Team can just release an Unencrypted JSON file of the tuning data for builders to use / integrate.

Ease of Integration. if there is a standard data that everyone can just access too like the blockchain contracts from polygon. it will be easier for developers to come in, build their UI stuff. and show the data to public.

Ease of Bug Finding While there are things you wont be able to find in the tuning for bugs. if team can release the JSON tuning data along with the changes that they usually will implement on a maintenance. users or builders can help them point out inconsistencies on their publish and based data.

Time saving

It only takes a few minutes for LG dev to export the JSON to be readable and share to public space. while for a builder, they have to do the following.

• download the manifest file
  • decrypt manifest file.
  • take the tuning package files.
  • decrypt the package files.
  • export the asset bundles

These sometimes takes hours on end. and only few people have access or even have the knowledge to do this. it will really help also other builders to create tools for the game if they already have something that they can just take and integrate on their own build set.

Back then there were also developers who approached me on how to get the data from the game. while I want to help them do it. I am constraint on time to even create a guide for other builders on how to do it. and I feel that this discourages other builders to build tools or kb’s for the game. by this proposal, everyone has the data that they need and they can see it transparently.

Details

On every maintenance, while the CU team provides the “whats new in cu” changes. they can also include the batch of files available for download [on zip] on the blog post on where builders can download the latest tuning data for the certain upcoming maintenance.

Batch of files are usually in “wgl-scriptableobject-tuning-ab” unless other tuning data is not declared by LG or stated.

Here is a sample Image of an encrypted json file vs an asset bundle that has been processed and exported.

Encrypted:

Not Encrypted : What we want.

Benefits

By these examples, every player can be encouraged to look at the data themselves. no other builder can say that “this X Y builder is withholding data when this data is available for everyone” what will vary over this is how the data is presented by every builder. It can also encourage upcoming normies to view and understand how this works.

This will reduce speculation on who has the data, or centralized data, specially now that we are regularly tuning jousting and tuning farming.

This helps encourage your builders to build tools for you since they dont have to “hack” the servers every time there is a new maintenance or new tuning data.

Implementation

In line with the current impact report, The delivery of this proposal will commence once the Endpoint Audit and Migration has been finished.

Cancellation

In an event that this proposal may cause more harm than good in the future. this proposal can be cancelled either by an announcement or a proposal.

Conclusion

Author really believes this will promote further transparency and encourage builders to build tools for the game now that we are also migrating to XAI. Author believes that this is also a good idea as there will be fresh new people that may have a potential to build more tools for CU.

1 Like

sounds reasonable to me

1 Like

No reason not to have more accessible data for the average player

1 Like

Adding more transparency and extra data source is a good thing for me. Supporting this. Also doesn’t look too hard for devs to add. Maybe also good to add it to the data warehouse as well for those who are not techy enough.

1 Like

I’ll be honest this is NOT for the average player, but understanding the what / why will certainly help the discussion.

This said, there is validity to the fact that the increased metadata access will just make it that much easier for the ones that have the skills to game the system for their own advantage to do it. This said, we are already there obviously. I’m not sure this will make it any better for the AVERAGE player coming into the meat grinder.

So, I think we need to hear about some specific use cases on how this would benefit the players at large and not just “We want the access to make stuff better” as a generalized statement.

There are reasons in games as to why you don’t give everyone keys to the kingdom. I think we need to approach this with a realistic expectation on what should be released in a pilot, and why we would do it. And when I say why it is layout the specific use case and benefits of the why.

2 Likes

I support this proposal. Yes to transparency and community built tools.

1 Like

Is there any risk to the system by having all this data publicly available? I agree with Goliath about this giving an extra edge to people who already have an edge and increasing the gap between average every day players and pro players familiar with coding that are able to utilize it. What is the reason for this to be discussed in the first place? If its not available - its not available for all. If it is available it is about to be utilized only by a handful of players giving them an extra edge. I am all for transparency but I don’t think that releasing this data publicly will benefit the community as a whole.

2 Likes

The one you’re opening up are just tuning data and scripts. I’ve been providing that for the span of almost 2 years.

The difference of it being public in a gamers section and public on a web3 is that you’ll attract other developers to build tools for you much easier.

That’s why we have a security bug bounty and possibly we can bring the bug bounty back after so that more users are in-tuned with reporting issues/bugs to LG.

for your Average player yes. its not fully for them. but for Developers and builders it should be easier for them to access the data. and players who fuds can just be slapped with the current tuning data.

======================
Tuning data is basically just tables of stuff that are in-game.

those are basically. what quest are available, how much % do you get in gathering carts, what items pulls in gathering carts. CM team releases them every time in pictures and in tables that you can’t just extract.

compared to just the json table data that you can just upload on an App which would make it relatively easy for builders to just create something for that table.

1 Like

its not going to give an “extra” edge. :sweat_smile: we can already pull that data anytime we want. but it takes time to do that.

Why would I take 2-3 hours of my time pulling, extracting, decoding data from LG when they can just provide it within 5-10 minutes? :sweat_smile: doesn’t make any sense. if you open that data you can get people interested on how a feature works. why a feature work like that and how people should define balancing.

LG Acts also as a DAO. and as part of DAO we should all have access to tuning information.

to clarify we are not requesting for any server side related codes. we are just asking for the JSON data for the tuning releases. so when they changed something and we really know its changed you will see it in the tuning data. you may see that sometimes CM team may have mistakes or even recently on the Gems has mistakes on the tuning. it takes MORE time to find those problems to be found when only few people pulls the data in the server. we’re also not accounting for human error there.

its only the wgl-scriptableobject-tuning-ab [unless other tuning locations were not stated] not the game source codes or anything like that.

1 Like

I was not sure what all this means so I appreciate the time you took to explain it to me and everyone else. In this case, it makes perfect sense to make this data available.

1 Like

I agree this information gives some players a edge for sure. Some players have the skills to access this already. While all players still wont be able to read and understand it if released. It will greatly increase the number of people who can. Making a more even playing field for a very competitive game. So I am onboard here for this reason.

One question I do have is would releasing this information cause any danger to future exploits. I imagine anyone able to use this file to possibly exploit would be able to unencrypt it themselves. Would just save them a step and a few hours.

I am all for even playing field. And this would be helpful having more eyes able to spot errors when they do happen.

Thanks for your proposal

2 Likes

Good question,

From my experience. usually the bugs can be taken advantage off. but to be frank usual bugs that I’ve encountered with LG is more of a nerf. like.

• Gathering Carts on Level 8 doesn’t have any extra Unim loot pull on a double mythic. [VERY SPICIFIC :rofl:]
  • Quest X Y Z doesn’t drop on what stated by CM team in their tuning release.
  • A specific crafting material gives a little % higher to get a T3 item.
  • CM team reported that gathering cart is reduced by only a few but when data was revealed by me before UNIM was nerf by half]

Nothing as exploit breaking imo… and since we have the security bug bounty. any of those exploits can be reported with a bounty…

Plus the ones that you will see in the tuning data is usually the ones that are already implemented or will be implemented on the upcoming maintenance. any inconsistencies will definitely be reported as a bug by players.

if this is approved i’m considering to open another bug bounty proposal so that average users can also report inconsistencies.

I also thought about future potential exploits that may have an impact on this situation. at this time I do not see any, because, Think of tuning data as just excel tables. list of things that are already in the game. numbers and information that will be cross checked by the server. these data usually our computers download and cross check and show up on our screen. even if you manipulate them. the server still checks them so there are no issues really releasing this data. and we are only opening the “wgl-scriptableobject-tuning-ab” since its focuses on the numbers and value side of things. i dont see any reason to open the other folders for the game. this will just streamline the process.

@GoliathRulz @wasper @timetraveler

I added a new clause in the proposal called “cancellation”. this is of course a backup situation where if LG found out that a situation can cause more harm than good in the future. they can cancel this proposal. at least its much easier for all of us if something happens.

/================

Cancellation

In an event that this proposal may cause more harm than good in the future. this proposal can be cancelled either by an announcement or a proposal.
/================

1 Like

Thank you for the additional info Keizer.

I’m waiting for the impact report from the team. But adding transparency seems reasonable.

2 Likes

Hello, Keizer!
Thank you for writing this proposal. This proposal is very thoughtful and has the potential to further encourage community development - something that I, on a personal level, have always supported.

In any case, personal opinions aside, I’ve consulted the team and prepared an impact report. Please find it here: Impact Report.

I’m unable to expound on the endpoint audits (sorry, skill issue) but our COO (Steven) would be happy to explain it via DM on Discord to those interested. Thank you!

If say I dont mind it being proceeded after migration and audit. do i need to just update that on the document under details?

thanks!

Yes, I think it should be fine to mention that the delivery schedule is still to be determined given that it’s dependent on two factors and then list out the factors (endpoint audit and the migration)?

The proposal has updated!

thanks!

Would be interesting to see how the gameplay and ecosystem development will change with the proposed info made available, so I am in favour. Worst case we can always revert, so let’s try it out!

1 Like

Hello, everyone!
The council review for this session has ended with the following result:

Pass: 11
Fail: 0

For this reason, the proposal will be moving to Snapshot.

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot

Thank you for your participation in the discussion.

1 Like