Build a Custom Marketplace

Lot of good things here in proposal. So dont misread my first comment.

One concern I have and I understand things take time and you are trying to produce a secure marketplace asap. My concern is one of the main reasons we are looking for a alternative to OS is the floor price manipulation of unicorns and lands as they are currently locked into the game. My concern is that shadowcorns and all other assets will soon be locked into the game as well as soon as possibly the next update from team. Once these are locked into the game I fear the same issues we have had with unicorns and lands will be presented with shadowcorns and keystones and loot boxes etc. Which means we may still be living with these issues well into the future of 6 months until phase 3 is here. I understand this will take time and the marketplace should take time and be done right. Besides a new marketplace I would really like to see the CU team decide on a measure to remove the ability for the bad actors to operate. On another note I am not sure how I feel about the costs to build. At RBW ATH of 3 if we return to that number the costs to build a marketplace could exceed 2 million. Are there any other marketplaces like the one you propose building so we could see what kind of quality you are proposing on building. Thanks for working with the team and having interest in building a marketplace for us all here at CU. :heart:

3 Likes

Guys, I certainly understand that your marketplace with live nft is an important and valuable thing. And yet 500k dollars + 500k rainbow for a few months of work alert. And considering the fact that literally this hour is ready beta version, we can assume that the engine is taken from another product and improved "unicorn skins. If I understand correctly, then this work is to write the “frontend” plus a contract, and the “backend” is not developed.

And also alarming that such substantial money offered to “Split the money” the firm that not only works closely with Laguna Gems, and employees of both companies work there and there…

The feeling is that the same Moonstreem can do the same work qualitatively and much cheaper. Especially since they have long started it.

I asked around the programmers I know on the blockchain playing this game and found that the price should be in the region of 100k dollars, but no more.

I apologize if I am too harsh this hour, but understand me correctly. I, and I’m not the only one, get tired of seeing both assets and active players of the game go down. And it really upsets me that such a huge amount of money can be spent on a piece of product that no one might even need, if the same money is not spent on marketing and attracting new players. And first and foremost, of course, to improve the economy.

Peace, everyone.

6 Likes

very expensive, totally agree

1 Like
  1. I would love to change the main currency from wETH to USDC as it is easier for me to do taxes and see the value of an asset.

2. We need to be able to see what is on the specific land (buildings, their lvl, farm bonuses etc…)

otherwise cant wait for it , OS is bad for the game

More than $500k for this miracle, are you guys serious? For an offer of this amount, you could prepare decent mock-ups, not this. This is not serious

6 Likes

Sharing a link to better facilitate the discussion!

This marketplace proposal is based off the Crypto Unicorns Marketplace Product Requirement Document that we published in June.

It might be good to review it to get a better idea of what Merkle Root means to include in Phase 3.

2 Likes
  1. It’s good that there is a proposal on a painful topic.
  2. It’s bad that the market is custodial. All actions will be through the blockchain, this is not good
  3. The picture of the market, in the presentation looks sad, and not serious
  4. It’s very expensive for what you offered at all

As we are told, it is winter. And you want 500k usdc and 500k rainbows

4 Likes

Thank you @sonolumin and the MerkleRoot team. Cool company name by the way.

I have a few questions, and a perspective on the communities needs.

Who will have ownership of the work proposed here? Will Laguna Games have legal rights and ownership of the website, data, tools, and resources created by MerkleRoot inc. under the direction and compensation agreement laid out before us? I ask because I evaluate the value and cost of things like this differently if the LG and the community are able to change course over time compared to ‘Vendor Lock In’.

Can you elaborate on the maintenance fee part of the proposal? I’d much rather see operations / hosting costs broken out separately from staff. I also have concerns about the rather open ended nature of whom would be doing what for how many hours each month as part of this fee, especially with the commitment to cover a short fall of % fees. To be rather honest and unabashedly direct, as an ‘IT Guy’ I’ve helped enough clients paying high fees for minimal website ‘maintenance’ over the years to be very concerned about this. I can write a lot more on this subject but hope enough people understand the concern without digging into the mud.

One of the reasons a custom market place is needed is because self custody of NFTs isn’t really compatible with the likes of OpenSea and projects that have some form of Locking requirement. LG / CU made a distinction in how in game NFTs are handled to ensure self custody of assets. This proposal is contrary to that concept / ideal. I can write may words on this subject as well, starting off with: Who is legally liable for loss of NFTs not in players custody?

Will a new custody contract be written from scratch or do you have an existing contract as a starting point that has had some real world testing behind it?

Shadowcorns, lootboxes, and badges are absent from the proposal. How experience is your team in creating expandable platforms? In the CU discord @sonolumin mentioned shadowcorns where left out due to time constraints. While I am far from a NFT expert my understanding is there are two broad feature sets. At a minimum it should be easy for such a market place to list and display the standard features of an ERC-721 token collection, much like OS currently does. Understandably decoding the ‘DNA’ of unicorns and lands is outside of that scope and would require enhanced functionally to be coded. I hope LG is able to offer code examples of how they mange this so your team is not revers engineering such things.

Will an API be available the access the data used for filtering and or general sales and listing data?

What is the reasoning behind using weth as the transaction token?

Is it possible to support Matic as well? It really is a lot easier to get Matic on an exchange and avoid the eth / weth / weth on polygon education requirements.

All digital goods was mentioned, will that include buying and selling of RBW and UNIM tokens?

I hope everyone involved in manifesting this concept into reality is keeping an eye on the big picture, on boarding new players to the CU universe. This proposal covers the blockchain NFT requirements rather well, but details on how this market place enhances the CU ecosystem beyond being a bit better than OS is lacking. Simple features like highlighting Single, Double, etc Mythic, how much a stat is above or below the average in general and that class, a ‘5 star rating’ for what to expect for different gaming loops. A random corn could have 3 stars for Jousting, 4 for racing, and so on for the RPG loop…

With the current world we inhabit, and the various ‘scandals’ inside and out of the web3 space I think it is prudent and reasonable for Laguna Games executives to review Merkleroot staff to confirm they actually exist and that they have the work history and experience to do such contract work vs our community paying them to copy / paste from stack exchange. I wish I had a nicer way of saying that, I have zero intent to be disrespectful. It is a bit concerning the website registration is just a bit over a year old and there is no cooperate mailing address or phone number.

Domain: merkleroot.co
Registered On: 2021-06-21
Owner details Private / TuCows

To the community, please keep in mind we are talking about giving the CEO of an unknown company half a Million real U.S. dollars and a guaranteed monthly income of $25,000 dollars with no parameters on Service Level guarantee in addition to the RBW discussed.

4 Likes

I am strongly in favor of this proposal. I think its important for the community to realize that $500k in USDC is a very small portion of our treasury and leaves over $20mil (im not looking at the exact number rn) for our overhead for LG… that’s at least a full year, not even including secondary sales revenue, so likely 2 years.

My only amendment, which I hope @sonolumin will consider, is delivering the USDC in 3 tranches: 150k of USDC once phase 1 is complete, 150k of USDC once phase 2 is complete, and 150k once phase 3 is complete, with 50k in escrow in case some features of the MP don’t meet the satisfaction of the community and are not properly reiterated on. I am in favor of giving them 500k in RBW immediately, assuming it is staked for 12 months (I want that guaranteed).

Thank you guys SO much for your commitment to our community. The mockups looks dope.

2 Likes

Thank you for the proposal,

Few things I need to ask.

• In the future Crypto unicorns will have different game loops, such as RPG, Racing, Jousting, Raids. will the items in the future game loops be included in this marketplace? or that will require another proposal?

I am seeing this as an approach in this short term. it is aggressively good but I would like to know if these other future features will also be supported by this marketplace.

just to clarify for the public, 500,000 USDC will be a delivery until phase three.

• The 25,000 USDC/mo stated [or percentage fee] : will this be on top of the 500,000 USDC when the marketplace is up?

• What are your foreseen risk?

• Could you explain more about the auction? people are looking forward to the similarities of the Ronin marketplace where you set the starting price, end price, and duration which is highly encouraged. what are your thoughts about this ?

• While we are on the middle of the set of phases [since you will maintain them] are you open to discuss and make changes in the UX?, The community would love to provide suggestions on how to make improvements to the UX.

Personal suggestion to be added here:

• Please make it Dark mode friendly.
  • CU background theme seems to be more of a Blue not white.
  • Unicorn Genes should also be added here. Not just the Major Genes. it should also include the normal Genes and the Minor Genes.
  • Search option and Filters should be on the top.

looking forward to your response.

Cheers!
-KeizerMc

1 Like

You have some points i’d like them to answer too . but let me give you some information

PRD.

Is it possible to support Matic as well?

No because this is not included in the PRD.

the various ‘scandals’ inside and out of the web3 space I think it is prudent and reasonable for Laguna Games executives to review Merkleroot staff to confirm they actually exist and that they have the work history and experience to do such contract work

I think i can share this.
Aron is close to the founder of Merkle Root and have experience with the team, and that he believes that they are are going to deliver the working project.

To the community, please keep in mind we are talking about giving the CEO of an unknown company half a Million real U.S. dollars and a guaranteed monthly income of $25,000 dollars with no parameters on Service Level guarantee in addition to the RBW discussed.

This is a valid good point. I also want to know the service levels and question everything we can question before we push it forward. you bring up a lot of good points too.

2 Likes

This is me being desperate - yes please start with the marketplace already. I also think that 500k usdc is a little steep and should be given in phases as what’s been said on one of the replies I’ve read here.

I think all in all the proposal’s good, actually any proposal about us having our own marketplace the soonest would be great.

Please do reconsider the mockup. I can’t explain it, but the design is a little off to my taste. thanks

1 Like

Could we see a budget for this proposal? I mean, 500k usdc (not taking rbw into the consideration for now) for 5 people to work for 6 months is a lot, plus royalties on top of that.

To propose those kind of numbers with this little backing up of the financials is just absolutely silly to me. There’s not even a doxxing of the team, so for all we know it could be 1 guy having like 10k in expenses and taking a nice paycheck of 490k for 6 months of work.

I might sound harsh here but I’m a little tired of the low bar on many of these proposals.

2 Likes

I’m super excited about this! Just two questions:

1. Can we still hide our assets same with what we can do in OS?

2. Is the auction same in Ronin marketplace where you set the starting price, end price, and duration?

Hello!

1. We didn’t have any feature planned to hide assets on your personal profile, but that does seem like a great quality of life feature that we should be able to fit in. We don’t have any plans to let you hide anything from other users searches.

2. The auction format is still TBD. It may be that there are specific lengths of time you can chose from or it may be an open time selection.

Thank you for the proposal, great first draft and hopefully you can answer some questions and amend your proposal to continue to build confidence in the community.

Some questions:

1. You claim to have delivered this kind of thing before.

We have deep experience in building these types of real-time data ingestion > processing > storing > queering pipelines. Our tools have served projects that have scaled up to hundreds of thousands of transactions per minute.

a) Can you go into more detail on what this project was and provide a link to it if it was public?
b) Who was the lead dev/architect on this project and are they the same person working on the CU marketplace
ba) - if not who will be leading the CU Marketplace development and what is their experience delivering similarly complex projects?
c) Is the dev team that delivered your example the same team working on the CU bespoke marketplace?

1. Has your company built an NFT marketplace before, if so how much of this previous marketplace will be implemented into the CU?

2. Can we see a portfolio of work your organisation has achieved already and do you have any testimonies from happy customers? Delivering on time and to budget ideally?

3. Why build a custodial marketplace. Why not Peer to Peer?

4. Can you expand the time frames on delivery of the full Marketplace PRD

5. For this kind of compensation, what standards of presentation are you prepared to commit to? Reiteration until complete customer satisfaction?

That is enough questions for now, thank you in advance for answering :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @BroccDaRock for the great questions. I’m going to try to go through them all here.

Who will have ownership of the work proposed here? Will Laguna Games have legal rights and ownership of the website, data, tools, and resources created by MerkleRoot inc. under the direction and compensation agreement laid out before us? I ask because I evaluate the value and cost of things like this differently if the LG and the community are able to change course over time compared to ‘Vendor Lock In’.

The ownership model here is joint. LG will have full legal ownership, code access, and data access. We strive to build software to the latest industry standards and documentation practices. This is mostly for our own sanity when it comes to working on products, but it also means it is easy for a client/partner to move to another developer. These technical details are subject to change, but right now we are looking at using micro-services in Go for all the observers, Elasticsearch for the data store, and React for the front-end.

Can you elaborate on the maintenance fee part of the proposal?

This is at least one full time devops engineer. They will be responsible for uptime, security patches, addressing bugs or other issues that can come up in production. This person is already lurking in the community :wink:

Elastic Licences → $375/mo
Elastic Nodes → $0.0496 per GB/hr (40GB) * 3 Nodes (High Availability) → $4,285.44/mo
Kubernetes for DB and Observers → ~$400/mo
Misc → $200/mo

One of the reasons a custom market place is needed is because self custody of NFTs isn’t really compatible with the likes of OpenSea and projects that have some form of Locking requirement. LG / CU made a distinction in how in game NFTs are handled to ensure self custody of assets. This proposal is contrary to that concept / ideal. I can write may words on this subject as well, starting off with: Who is legally liable for loss of NFTs not in players custody?

We chose to go with a custodial model two main reasons. The first is time, we wanted the initial version of this marketplace to come online quickly so the community could start seeing progress and resolving some of their issues with OS. The second was security, this also relates back to time, a single contract in a well known and tested custodial model is much faster to secure and to audit. With all that said. We do know that the community likes to keep full custody of the assets. With that in mind we are planning to see if we can find a way to keep the assets in your wallet. This will require the meta data observer to be fast enough to detect a meta change and de-list the item, or prevent the completion of a transaction, before a transaction can go through. The meta can change in a single tick of the chain then the transaction in the second tick, so this is an abuse vector that needs to be closed. We may be looking to the community for guidance on what is an acceptable time frame. In the mean time, while we have custody, we can ensure you are getting what you payed for. (please forgive any grammar / runons, I’m still working on my first cup of coffee :coffee:)

Will a new custody contract be written from scratch or do you have an existing contract as a starting point that has had some real world testing behind it?

We will be working off of the Open Zeplin ERC 721/1155 pausable contract. The marketplace functionality will be written as new work. We will be employing a 3rd party security auditing firm to audit the contract.

Shadowcorns, lootboxes, and badges are absent from the proposal. How experience is your team in creating expandable platforms? In the CU discord @sonolumin mentioned shadowcorns where left out due to time constraints. While I am far from a NFT expert my understanding is there are two broad feature sets. At a minimum it should be easy for such a market place to list and display the standard features of an ERC-721 token collection, much like OS currently does. Understandably decoding the ‘DNA’ of unicorns and lands is outside of that scope and would require enhanced functionally to be coded. I hope LG is able to offer code examples of how they mange this so your team is not revers engineering such things.

To slightly toot our own horn, we have lots of experience. The plan is to deploy the project using the diamond design pattern that also runs the main game. This gives us the ability to upgrade contracts without data loss (diamond storage). Secure deployment keys outside the digital world. And to allow an observer service separate of the blockchain cut off operation 24/7 if it detects any funny business (without having to give said service the super private deployment keys).

Its a fun topic to read up on if you haven’t: EIP-2535: Diamonds, Multi-Facet Proxy
Diamonds · Issue #2535 · ethereum/EIPs · GitHub

Will an API be available the access the data used for filtering and or general sales and listing data?

Not in this PRD. We are not opposed to doing so, but would need to figure out some anti abuse mechanisms b/c the hosting costs is very much based on query volume.

Is it possible to support Matic as well? It really is a lot easier to get Matic on an exchange and avoid the eth / weth / weth on polygon education requirements.

This is what was requested in the PRD

All digital goods was mentioned, will that include buying and selling of RBW and UNIM tokens?

Yes! We are including swapping RBW-wETH and UNM-wETH within the market. We are also looking to incorporating MoonPayNFT pending feasibility and approval by LG.

It is a bit concerning the website registration is just a bit over a year old and there is no cooperate mailing address or phone number.

We do need to get those up on our website. The site has been a bit of a low priority thus far as we are staying busy on projects.

Merkle Root, Inc.
548 Market St PMB 53174
San Francisco, California 94104-5401 US

We are a fully remote team so this is an Earth Class Mail address. We are registered in Delaware. Please feel free to do some digital snooping.

We are a spin-off of First Foundry setup to focus on a fully remote team and to pursue more specific blockchain opportunities.

We do already work through a normal fee for service contract with LG on lots of the web products you probably use.

I think this is an important point, and I would like everyone to take a look at who we are, and feel comfortable both with giving us this grant and with having us be the steward of your marketplace.

Could we see a budget for this proposal? I mean, 500k usdc (not taking rbw into the consideration for now) for 5 people to work for 6 months is a lot, plus royalties on top of that.

To propose those kind of numbers with this little backing up of the financials is just absolutely silly to me. There’s not even a doxxing of the team, so for all we know it could be 1 guy having like 10k in expenses and taking a nice paycheck of 490k for 6 months of work.

I might sound harsh here but I’m a little tired of the low bar on many of these proposals.

We’re happy to be as open as possible about how we priced this project. We are a team of around 25 engineers, project manages, and engineering managers. We are slightly profitable on the USDC if we hit the six month deadline, but very near our cost-rate before the RBW. (Cost rate is rounded up to the nearest thousand to keep salary’s slightly private)

2 Likes

My concern is that shadowcorns and all other assets will soon be locked into the game as well as soon as possibly the next update from team. Once these are locked into the game I fear the same issues we have had with unicorns and lands will be presented with shadowcorns and keystones and loot boxes etc. Which means we may still be living with these issues well into the future of 6 months until phase 3 is here.

Something to consider here is that OS won’t be shut off when the new CU marketplace comes online. We hope that most players will migrate their activity to the new marketplace, and we have set the fees to incentivize it, but trading will most likely still happen on OS for all assets.

2 Likes

We plan to work closely with the LG team, especially Mathew, to make sure the design is something awesome. You should take a look at the proof of concept we built, its very much “developer designed”: Crypto Unicorns Market (Early Prototype) - YouTube

I don’t think the final product will be anything like these early prototypes in terms of design.

3 Likes

Thank you Chris. I appreciate the quick and detailed response. I enjoyed reading it over my first :coffee: of the day. I hope this was as informative for the community as it was for me.

I would like to follow up on additional l questions and ideas but for now will sit back and take notes as you respond to other peoples posts.

Thanks again, personally I do feel better about the direction this is heading after you responses.