Hawku Marketplace for Crypto Unicorns

I responded to locked issue above and the various aspects of it in a previous comment. Let me know if there are still questions!

We have an API that we can provide to both LG and tools providers where people can easily compute both sale numbers and volumes. Sale volumes are also all done on the blockchain so an entrepreneurial data person can alternatively build a nice dune graph.

Hope that answers your question!

1 Like
  • Can the hawku marketplace update the metadata almost as fast as changes were made in the said unicorns specially on the breeding points?

Updating data based on realtime events is our specialty. We handle real-time data either via an API from the game or we can also handle it via an ABI event. We will need to work with LG to find out how to know when a unicorn has been bred but assuming that information is available this should not be an issue.

• What will happen to the LISTED unicorns once the owner decided to lock it in game (Listing comes first before locking) will it be automatically remove from the listing?

In our initial version this will only remove it once someone tries to buy it. Over time we will look into some type of time-based (or ABI event -based) check. But we think this (combined with not letting locked tokens get listed) will be sufficient. If there is a bad actor there are other mechanisms we have on our marketplace to handle it/make it more frustrating for them.

Building - I believe we can as long as we have access to getting the data!

Bid offers currently get removed when someone tries to accept them and we find out they do not have the ETH. So far this has worked out well. As I mentioned above, if we find a bad actor we have other mechanisms to make things frustrating for them.

Both Hawku and OS act as independent marketplaces. In case an item is purchased on one marketplace, the other one will see a transfer and will remove the listing.

Hope this helps!

1155’s -I wrote a more detailed answer above: In short, our 0x smart contract will support this but our infrastructure currently has some assumptions that makes this more difficult. We know games use this so it is something we know we will be building but it is not a trivial one-week thing to do. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for the candor and nice to meet you.

1. Are you relying on the community maintained version of 0x or do you have your own implementation? (I ask b/c the community version has 1155 support). If you have your own are you merging community security updates?

Hawku uses a version of 0x deployed on Polygon by members of the 0x team. The contract is located here: Exchange | Address 0x0c58c1170f1ded633862a1166f52107490a9c594 | PolygonScan.
This contract (and its proxy contracts) are open-sourced and verified on Polygonscan and have had the owner/controller address burned so they cannot be modified. All approvals for ERC20s and ERC721s are made to that contract and its appropriate proxies.

All smart contracts Hawku use are open-sourced and verified. (OS uses a 0x contract too but for some reason it is not verified).

You are correct that the contract does support 1155 support and we will be using that when we implement 1155’s.

1. If its the later how are you addressing the 0x04 venerability. I know that the core team has addressed this but the “revert with error” solution could theoretically cause a meta revert if it happens during a meta update from the LG server. How would you solve this? (polygon does not guarantee block order)

Our contract uses a 0x V3 deployment and was deployed by the 0x team in August 2021. The issue you have listed was from the V2 version from 2019 (aka 3 years ago). I have confirmed with the 0x team today that this does not appear to be an issue with the V3 version. To be clear - The V3 version has been battle tested and is currently used by multiple services like Uniswap, Opensea and Polygon.technology. Should an exploit be found our system can instead switch to an updated version of that contract (but given how prevalent the 0x contract is, honestly the whole ETH ecosystem would be in a world of hurt at that point).

As for Meta-reverts, if you are referring to 0x Meta-transactions, we are not using those at this time for our marketplace. If you are referring to something else, please let me know with some more information.

1. Will you be pulling listings down as soon as they are locked into the game to prevent floor price manipulation?

I have addressed this in a previous comment so refer you to that comment. Thx!

1. Would you be open to an upfront payment then a sub 1% fee? We believe that over the long run this would take much less of the value away from the community.

I am addressing the fee more specifically in a separate post.

As the founder of a gaming marketplace that already has multiple games up with live data, I can tell you that the work is nowhere near done when the first version of the marketplace is up. Games are constantly changing and adding new requirements and users are constantly asking for new functionality. It is very different from a standard PFP/art/avatar marketplace. Expecting that to be mostly handled in a one-time up front cost would be a poor financial decision for either the game - who would then need to continually pay additional development costs for upgrades or risk having no updates, or the developer who would be saddled with a perpetual amount of extra work without compensation.

1. Will the site have any advertisements or links to other community’s collections that would take a user away from the CU marketplace?

As mentioned in the proposal, we are not doing sponsored advertising at this time for the reasons listed in the proposal. In short we do not believe it is a good experience for the marketplace participants and allowing the seller to give context will end up being a venue for scams and spam that would need (likely human) resources to be continuously moderated.

1. Will you be open to doing any fully custom work for CU market like displaying the full decoding of the major, minor, and recessive genes or displaying a family tree for a Unicorn? (for a fee)

Our platform allows for a TON of configurations. We can include multiple types of parameters per token including both mint and updating parameters. The parameters you list I believe should be supported.

Hawku already handles family relationships (including searching by parent attributes) for ZED. You can see it live at That's All Folks!. Click on the filter button to filter by parent or click on any horse and the “family” tab to see the family information. We are adding this right now to our v2 platform and should have that ready by the end of this month. There are some other fun features we will be adding to that as well.

1. How are you addressing the honeypot risk on the escrow contract? Is there any fraud detection system in place? Are you running a pausable contract?

Since we are using the 0x protocol, there is no escrow. Everyone’s tokens are held in their own wallet until sale. Again - we do not put any token into a separate escrow account. Like you, we agree honeypots are really bad. And yes, we do have multiple precautions including pausability capabilities.

1. For upgradable contracts: can you provide a list of all persons and systems that have access to the private key(s) and how they are secured during deployment and otherwise?

The only contract that has authorization to transfer people’s NFTs or ETH is the hardened 0x contract. The owner of that contract has been burned and those contracts are completely immutable. We have no control over that contract and just call the 0x methods. We do not like upgradable contracts that are granted token approvals for the security risks they possess.

1. How do you secure our personal data? Do you sell it to anyone? Your [privacy policy](https://www.hawku.com/v2/privacy) indicates that personal data can be sold for advertising purposes. If it is, can you tell us who it is sold to (or provided to for advertising)?

We do not share personal data nor sell it for advertising. Our business model is based on marketplace fees and not paid advertising. We do use Google Analytics and they may inadvertently use the IP address of someone so we decided to be extra cautious. Adding personal information (like email address) is completely optional and up to the user. We have plenty of people using our site where we have no identifying information besides information held in their public wallet.

Thanks for the questions and hopefully this answers them!

3 Likes

Regarding fees:

I totally get fees are annoying. I do not know one person who likes fees so you are not alone if you do not like them.

Some things to think about why we chose a fee

• The 2% fee helps Hawku continue to develop and innovate on our gaming marketplace. We have found from our experience that unlike marketplaces for PFPs/art, development and improvement for marketplaces for games with realtime data does not stop. We need to continually add/innovate and tweak things. We want a business model that supports that and aligns us with the game.

• The fee is also used to help establish an affiliate program for influencers and 3rd party tools that support the game. Drastically reducing the fee would result in no support for an affiliate program.

• It stops a rug pull. If we took money up front, we could disappear or not serve the community and the community could end up down the money with no successful product. As a marketplace that makes its money based on a marketplace fee, we are only successful if transactions are happening successfully.

As for alternative proposals: we certainly could consider reducing/removing that fee in exchange for a bigger 6 figure grant (like $200K-$250K which has been bounced around) but I’m candidly not sure this is in the best interest of CU. Here’s why.

• Given CU has been doing ~110ETH of transactions a month, the amount of upfront compensation Hawku would receive would be more than Hawku would receive from 3+ continuous years worth of current marketplace transactions. It would be a pretty good deal for Hawku given the risks in the industry to take that upfront, but personally I am not so sure it is so good for CU. We are open to it from Hawku’s perspective though.

• Having a material marketplace fee aligns the marketplace with the game. The marketplace would be incentivized to add features and functionality to make it easier for CU players to buy/sell. Otherwise the marketplace will not make money. If a marketplace or developer is only incentivized with a big check in the beginning they have much less incentive to continue innovating until the next big development check comes from the treasury. In fact, they basically can hold the treasury hostage or force the treasury to search and find other developers to decipher the code.

• If/when CU reaches the scale where it is doing 10K transactions a month with 10K+ users it usually will come with an increase cost to the marketplace in terms of server load and customer support. Yes some marketplaces previously may not have risen to the challenge but they should have (or are now seeing their traffic diminish).

• One great thing about NFT marketplaces is that NFT transferring is public so there is room for ample competition. The CU community in the end of the day will choose the best marketplace for it. As an example, if/when CU surpasses peak BAYC prices, if their current marketplace is not providing enough value, the community can decide to shift to a different marketplace with lower fees. This has already happened with BAYC and x2y2/LooksRare. Hawku will be incentivized to make sure it is providing value worthy of the fee or adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Love this marketplace proposal from a time implementation point of view. Thanks and good luck to Hawku

it’s not possible to unlock them, we need observer or bot which will collect offchain data and delist Locked assets (Subsequently Locked)

way better then markle root

2 Likes

Not sure if I had a typo but we would be un-listing the locked unicorns, not unlocking them.

To start we would check at the moment of sale. If the transaction fails we un-list the listing and notify both seller and buyer that it could not be sold at this time. While it is not the ideal long term solution we believe this would go pretty far towards solving the problem. And if a bad actor keeps doing it, we have other actions we believe we can take to mitigate the problem.

Hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

Would you consider a scaling % based on volume? I get that the % needs to be higher right now, but everyone in this community is fervent believers in that the game will pop off and it’d be nice to keep the fees proportionate, even though as you say there would be additional costs for maintenance and customer support.

Thank you for the time you spend discussing things in detail!

looks GREAT! Feels like we are on our way!

I really enjoyed the site you made for Zed. It was my favorite place to find information for horses. I used it exclusively to buy horses from. The Red Village is a excellent project as well and excited you made a market for their Champions. Would a analytics site like you did for zed be possible in the future. Or have you moved on from them and now include the information in the marketplace itself. I can vouch for the quality of your tools as I used them extensively. 100% willing to try out your marketplace if you build it. Thank you for your interest in Crypto Unicorns.

2 Likes

Honestly, if CU moons and starts generating Axie-like revenue I would presume there would be a lot of pressure on Hawku (or any marketplace) to reduce its rate, provide much more value, or risk having the community go elsewhere.

We are the primary marketplace for ZED and moved to combining the data with a gaming marketplace as we found that provides the best win win for both the community and the company (and we can do things that help the game that you cannot do if you do not facilitate the listings/bid). As a result, we no longer show OS or any other marketplaces.

The good news is we also abstracted out the data analysis/marketplace tools we did with ZED so it could be with any game. It’s why I honestly thought CU would be a good fit. We basically already do most of what is wanted by the CU community and even more than people had hoped for. But we would need the community to be willing to rally behind this as a preferred marketplace in order for it all to work.

1 Like

@cryptog I have read the proposal and the posts/responses that have been posted in this thread.
The proposal as a whole is interesting.
But, I never saw it:

1. How will the issue of blocked assets be resolved? With assets that have already been placed, but were subsequently blocked.
    Yes, there is some general information, but nothing specific. Can you give an example (indicating the response time for this or that action)
  2. I am not technically an expert, but I see many people are interested in the 1155 tokens issue. Again, there are general words (ready, time-consuming process), without specifics. We are interested in:
  • Yes, ready to add/support.
  • Timeline for implementation of this

Thanks for the note:

Re-blocked assets, I gave a detailed response. Hawku Marketplace for Crypto Unicorns - #17 by cryptog

Re: 1155 - it is likely going to be higher on our list given a number of games have it. With that in mind we have a couple other big community requests ahead of it (such as supporting buying/selling with in-game tokens) so if I were to speculate, 1155 support would be more like by EOY/early 2023.

1 Like

I have read this post and others.
I do not understand the response time.
The system is supposed to work so that:

1. Not allow blocked assets to trade
  2. If an asset is blocked in play, the system should automatically remove its listing on the market
    That’s my question, how will the system react to such assets